Thursday, August 1, 2013

Three Tips to Get Organized (and a Few Products to Help You Get There)

Whether heading back to school or not, many of us still take advantage of the end of summer and beginning of fall (Wow! How did we get here already?!) as one of those "refocusing" times in the year. It gives us the opportunity to look back on what we've accomplished in the first 3/4 of the year (Another shocker, right? We're already 3/4 of the way through 2013...) and decide what changes we need to make to make those last few months count. I don't think I know any better way to do that than to get organized! So, today I have for you 3 simple steps to help you get organized and a few of my favorite products (if you're interested) to help you get there! Read on and let's finish this thing strong together!

1. Compartmentalize. One of the first steps toward getting organized is finding a place for everything. This could be as simple as getting a few totes, separating a few items, labeling them (of course!), and neatly fitting them into a closet. However, if you're more focused on "organizing life in general," this may be a bit more difficult. Let's make it easy on ourselves, though, and consider it with the same mental picture in mind. If you can simply section your day, your time into neat "labeled" chunks, you'll be a lot more efficient and much more organized. Think of it as stuffing your hours into "totes" labeled with their respective responsibilities--relationships, health, work...Once you have some of the major sections of life compartmentalized, consider breaking it down even further.

2. Minimize. I don't know of anyone who doesn't have a little extra of something. So, the second step toward organizing? You got it, minimize! If you don't need it, get rid of it. (A good rule of thumb is if you haven't used it in the last 6 months, you aren't going to.) This step applies to "stuff" just the same as time. I think we're all guilty of devoting our time to unnecessary things, so think about it, and decide what you need, and ditch the rest. You'll be amazed how freeing this is!

3. Utilize. The final step toward organizational perfection is utilization--using what you have or what you're best at--to maximize you're capability. If you have a system for organizing your home, put it to use. (Personally, I like to revert back to compartmentalizing here. Our home is organized by purpose and design. My business supplies are organized using folders, totes, etc.) In terms of work or business, structure your time, so you can "divide and conquer." For some, this may mean completing the tasks that aren't your "strong suit" first, while for others you'll need to complete your favorite projects at the beginning of the day to get your focus going. At this stage of organization, you're simply finding what works for you and applying it.

Now, I promised you 3 Tips and a few of my favorite products, so I'd  be remiss not to include both. My favorite products focus on the three same premises as my tips, and this, honestly, is how I organize my work (and life). I like to call this set "My Mobile Office." It is composed of the Organizing Utility Tote, Fold'N File, and Zipper Pouch (three of my favorite Thirty-One products), which come together nicely to help me compartmentalize, minimize, and utilize.
The Organizing Utility Tote has lots of pockets to carry pens, glasses, snacks...or anything else you'd need in a day. Even better? It has enough pockets that you can compartmentalize everything!
Another aspect of this set is minimizing what I have to carry but maximizing my efficiency. The Fold'N File does this perfectly! This product is designed to carry hanging file folders (which I love), but it is also spacious enough that I can also stick some binders and other folders in the back half. So, I can carry everything I need for my business and for teaching all in one place and everything still has it's section. Score!
Finally, the Zipper Pouch is perfect for all the extras. This product can be utilized as a bit of a catch-all, but for me, it actually carries my computer and other technology needs. (I have a netbook, so it fits perfectly!)
Put the three together, and you have one very organized set! What are you waiting for? Get organized! I promise it'll make life Tote-ally Wonderful!
--Leesha

Looking for your own "Mobile Office" or interested in creating your own organizing set? Visit my website at www.mythirtyone.com/leeshachamberlain or connect with me on Facebook. I have a great special going on right now that I'd love to tell you about!

(Disclaimer: I am an Independent Thirty-One Consultant. The views expressed here are mine alone and do not reflect those of Thirty-One Gifts.)

No comments:

Post a Comment