Sunday, July 28, 2013

Easy Lamp Makeover

Thankfully my husband and I have inherited a handsome set of home furniture and furnishings through various means--family, friends, previous apartment living, etc. (And really, we've been really, really blessed as all of our furniture even "goes together" right from the onset of being married. It would have driven me bonkers otherwise.) However, even with this collection, the further we get into establishing our home, the more I'm left wanting to tweak what we have...In steps my moderate DIY-self, thinking, "Yeah, yeah, I can do this."
I often shudder just slightly when this "self" takes over as I have had some (very) unsuccessful DIY attempts in the past. Nonetheless, I typically go ahead and make the attempt anyway. Today was no different.

After making our most recent move, I decided I wanted to add a "pop of color" to our living room and had decided to do so with the very neutral-colored lamps we had acquired. (I think these were honestly a "hotel hand-me-down" from my husband's former job site.) So, the Easy Lamp Makeover idea was born, and, I made a go of it. And, I must say it was extremely SUCCESSFUL! If you are wanting to makeover a room, or at least a lamp, easily, cheaply, and quickly, do this!

Materials Needed:
  • two lamps (or one, really however many you want to makeover)
  • plastic wrap, paper towel, plastic bag, or some other material to cover metal parts of lamp
  • tape
  • spray paint in an exciting new color (I used Valspar The Perfect Finish in Gloss Exoctic Sea.)
  • cardboard or some other usable spraying surface
  • a well ventilated space
Steps to Makeover Perfection (or close to)...
  1. Prep lamps for painting. I started by wiping down the lamps with a damp cloth. (This was a necessity to remove dust balls and tiny dust bunnies. I definitely know where my house cleaning is lacking...) After cleaning, separate the lamp base from the shade, typically by simply unscrewing the attachment at the top. You'll also want to make sure to remove the bulb, if you haven't already done so. At this point, wrap the metal casing with the plastic wrap. (I enlisted the mister to help here, and he also suggested a lining of paper towel to make sure we kept everything clean.) Secure with tape as necessary. You also might want to cover the cord to protect it from any stray paint.
  2. After covering everything, it's time to set up shop. We carried everything outside and laid cardboard underneath the lamps to keep from painting the grass as well as to keep any and all grass off of the lamps as I painted.
  3. Then, the fun part. Begin painting. You'll want to use short, light sprays and do multiple coats, with at least 5 minutes between each coat. I used one very light coat, followed by a second "covering" coat, and a third "touch-up" coat. This allowed me to get a nice, even color on the lamps without any drips. (Note: Valspar The Perfect Finish is a two-in-one product that serves as a primer and topcoat. I chose this paint so I didn't have to purchase an additional "primer.")
  4. Finally, let the paint cure. Within 30 minutes, we were able to move the project, but I let both lamps sit outside for 2+ hours to allow them to "air out" and completely dry.
  5. Finish! After drying, I carried the transformed lamps inside, removed the wrap, replaced the bulbs and shades, and added them back to the living space.
This project was a total success! I was able to makeover the two lamps and successfully transform our living space (at least that's how I feel about it, haha) with a simple spray of paint. On top of that, I got 2 brand NEW lamps for $7!!! I'll take that for a Tote-ally Wonderful makeover! Check it out!

--Leesha

No comments:

Post a Comment