Monday, September 9, 2013

Baking Bread and Finding Purpose, Personal Musings of a Domestic Sort

It's amazing what different seasons in our lives can teach us. The more I look back on my life, the more seasons I recognize, and the more I appreciate different and new growing periods in my life.

As I currently adjust to living in a new place, working only part-time (if you can even call it that), and being home the majority of the time, I'm beginning to realize this period as another season. And, as I realize it, I am trying to learn from it...Yes, trying is the keyword. 

You see, I am used to being fairly independent (however with my still recent marriage, I have gladly accepted a position of more dependence as well as submission), busy, and hard working. I have always been described as a go-getter and found pride (probably too much) in that status. In this current phase, though, I am spending more time at home, taking care of things around the house, and supporting my husband in a more subtle way. While I gladly accept this position, I will admit, it has not been easy for a "doer" to adjust to what seems like "not doing." However, I came across this scripture this past weekend (again, as I stayed at home while my husband hurried the opening of his new hotel), and it gave me some new found direction and peace of mind. Psalm 115:1 reads, "Not to us, O Lord, not to us, but to your name goes all the glory for your unfailing love and faithfulness," (NLT). This scripture reminds me that our purpose is not our own. All that we do should be to the glory of God, for his will not ours. I realized that with all of the reflecting I had been doing on "not doing as much as I could be" that I was completely missing the point. God has granted me with this time of serving in a different way. If nothing else, I need to do all that I can do in my home to honor God. So, as I love my husband, I am honoring God's purpose. As I make healthy choices for my family, I am honoring God. As, I look for and apply budgeting tips and tricks, I am being mindful with that which God has blessed me. And, yes, I am honoring God. 

Whether you are in a period of busyness or calm, I hope you can apply this concept to your life as well. All that you do, do it for his glory.

All that being said, I have taken up using this period as a time to work on healthier, more sustainable, and more cost effective living. One aspect of this endeavor has included finding different ways to shop as well as different meal and food prep options. (This attempt has really been threefold--helping us budget, living more practically, and making better food choices.) 

My most recent adventure involved taking on the task of making homemade bread. Tired of not knowing exactly what is in our food and excited about being able to make things myself, I am trying to take on tasks that allow us to control what we put in, on, and around our bodies. (I've even made our own cleaning supplies but more on that in another post.) 

I am happy to say that with a little recipe tweaking and committed kitchen time, I was able to produce two lovely and extremely tasty loaves of homemade bread! Woohoo! (The mister continues to reconfirm how much he is enjoying this latest recipe too.) Check it out, these loaves are gorgeous (although I'll not be entering any bread baking contests just yet)! 
Are you interested in trying your hand at homemade bread, check out my recipe and let me know how it goes. This Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread is delicious and super easy (as far as bread baking goes)!

Whether baking bread, putting in time at a difficult job, or just loving those around you, I hope you can find your purpose just as I have in glorifying God in all that you do. And, as always, make it, Tote-ally Wonderful!
--Leesha

No comments:

Post a Comment